Thursday, April 11, 2019

Two More Seasonal "Post Cards"

I've been enjoying making these fabric "post cards" for my friend.  The first four I made for her are here.  The latest two feature a cute girl bunny, and a Mason jar with spring flowers.



I really like the creative process in making these.  Since there is no pattern, it takes a bit of work to come up with a design and then get things sized correctly.  I like that challenge.  I also like the spontaneity involved.  More than once I've stated with a Google image, for one element, like the Mason Jar, but then I change and adapt as I go. It's fun to see where they take me, and sometimes I'm surprised.   I had been planing to embroider the flowers on the Mason Jar, but then, in the middle of the night, I woke up thinking about a fabric with the perfect flowers on it.  Sub conscious,  much?  The next morning before I went down stairs. I stopped in the sewing room and pulled that fabric out of the stack.  So much quicker than embroidery, and so cute, too.



In looking back at the first set and comparing to the latest, I notice that I have moved away from hand sewing in favor of machine applique.  Even the outside edge of these two was machine stitched.  This isn't really a conscious decision on my part.  I just go with the flow with these and machine stitching just felt right.  I won't be surprised if the next few get a bit more hand stitching.

My plan is to keep making these until my friend has a years' worth.  Then, I might try to duplicate some of my designs and make a few more sets.  These little cuties make a perfect "in between" project, and I know a few other people who might like to have a set!


No comments:

Post a Comment