My 13 year old daughter is currently inpatient at Children's receiving treatments for Cystic Fibrosis. It is common for CF patients to spend 10-14 days at a time getting strong anti-biotic treatments and respiratory therapy, along with other interventions. She has been hospital free for 2 years, but our luck ran out last week. Her team of doctors decided on Thursday to admit her. And we agreed. It was time. We had the weekend to prepare, which is really a luxury!
So, on Sunday, amid the meal prep, laundry, notifying teachers, writing sub plans for work, and getting hospital ready...I also checked to see what the next challenge in Project Quilting was going to be. The theme, "Red White and Blue" made me think of my sewing room color scheme, and I decided I'd make a mini quilt for the wall behind my sewing table. After all, I knew I'd have some time on my hands this week! I also knew that it IS possible to make a mini quilt while during her stay. In fact, I did it the last time she was in, in March, 2017!
|This one was called Home Sweet Home. I absolutely LOVE that there are a few of the same fabrics in these two minis!|
That mini was made partially at home, as I was going back and forth on the weekends. I also brought my machine to the hospital to work on it. This time, however, I knew I needed something I could make entirely in her hospital room since I won't be going home until next week, I also just didn't feel like bringing my machine.
I decided to try some English Paper Piecing. I've had some experience with hexies, so I knew the basics. I decided I'd try a simple Dresden Plate. Late Friday Night I printed templates on card stock, started to pack a kit and pulled fabric. I also read through the multiple part tutorial by The Inspired Quilter. It was so helpful, and I'm sure I'll be referring to it time and time again!
|So pretty! That white floral is old. I don't remember how I got it, but it was cut out to be a bodice on a top someone was making!|
On Monday, my daughter was admitted, a broncosopy was done and her PICC line was placed. Day One is always a busy day and there isn't time to sew. Plus, my mind doesn't stay focused. I stayed that night with her, but went home in the morning to work the next two days. By the time I returned to the hospital on Wednesday afternoon, I had pulled together more supplies, cut my fabrics into smaller pieces, and cut a front and a back. I was all set to work once we settled in on Wednesday evening. Except that I left the small pieces of fabric at home. And I had forgotten to pack batting. It wasn't looking good for a Sunday finish!
My husband agreed to bring what I needed from home during his lunch hour on Thursday. He works about half way between the hospital and home. It wasn't exactly convenient for him, but he did it. And I was making Dresden blades by 2 P.M. By that evening the Dresden Plate was pieced.
|A recliner, a good TV show...good to go!|
On Friday I appliqued it to the 24 inch square I'd brought along and gave it a press with my mini iron. I had to piece together some batting because the "scraps" that had been delivered were REALLY scrappy. Oh well. That was surprisingly easy!
|My exact words were "Don't bring the big ziploc bag that says "small batting scraps."|
So, on Saturday morning, I set up my cozy spot. There are two TV's in the room, and as I flicked through the guide on my TV, I noticed a very familiar line up on our local public television station. It's Sew Easy, Quilting Arts, Sewing with Nancy, Fons and Porter...the same kinds of things my mom and I used to watch on Saturday mornings when I was my daughter's age! What a treat! It really was lovely hand sewing on that hospital room couch with a coffee and quilters for company on the TV! I was a little sad when my coffee ran out, but just then my husband appeared with Starbucks!
I had grabbed two packs of double fold bias tape from home, thinking they might work for binding. I don't remember how I acquired these packs, but the date on the packaging was 1983. So, my mom could have bought them around the same time we were watching Sewing With Nancy together! They sure look "vintage" don't they? It took a while to decided between the red and the blue. In the end, I chose the blue because it was a perfect match for that navy pindot in the block. It looks so intentional, when really I didn't notice they were a match until I pulled out the bias tape Saturday morning!
I am so pleased with how this turned out. There are several little flaws that are the result of not having the tools I would have wanted or from prepping in haste or not taking time to re-do. But those don't matter. This will hang proudly on my sewing room wall, a reminder of this particular hospital stay. Also, a reminder that like life, a quilt doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.
|The view from West 11. Improved by my new mini quilt called, "...to be beautiful."|
I am so excited to link this up with the other finishes in the Project Quilting Challenge. And I'm so proud to be 2 for 2 with Project Quilting this season!