Sunday, April 21, 2019

Mini Quilts - A Double Finish

My little "secret sewing" projects that I included on my Second Quarter Finish Along list are completed, have been gifted, and can be revealed!  Yay!



These two little quilts were made for my sweet, silly daughters.  The Easter Bunny tucked them into their baskets this morning.  Somehow, the bunny and I managed to keep them secret! 


Both patterns were purchased from Burlap & Blossom, an adorable Etsy shop.  She has a LOT of sweet patterns, and they are all traditional piecing. The patterns were easy to print and easy to follow. I will buy from her again, for sure!  I will think twice about making the 6 inch blocks, though.  Making half square triangles with squares that start out at 3/4 of an inch is not for the faint of heart!! 



The little flowers on this cactus show how much I struggled with this.  Poor things.  If I had had more time, and if I wasn't limited to sewing these when the girls were out of the house, I might have re done those parts.  But, I figure cactus flowers come in all shapes and sizes.  Maybe these were nibbled on by a road runner or an armadillo.  I decided to leave them be.  And, as a whole, I think this little guy is pretty charming.



I used the same cute mini dot background for both quilts, and I kind of wish I hadn't.  I think that the coffee cup quilt needs more contrast.  I LOVE the lid fabric, but it blends too much into the background, and the overall shape gets lost.  Again, if I had more time...



I'm not sure if the girls will hang the quilts in their rooms, or their lockers or use them as mug rugs.  They finish at about 6x9, so they would work for that purpose, too.  I do know that these won't be the last minis that I make for my daughters.  They are fun and pretty quick to make, and I can envision future dorm room walls covered with quilted memories from Mom.  I can dream, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment