Sunday, April 14, 2019

Quarter Two Finish Along List

When I made my first quarter Finish Along list in January, April seemed very far way.  And so it is now, making my second quarter list.  July 1st seems to be an eternity away.  Yet, here it is, mid April, in the blink of an eye.  Another blink and summer will be here.

While I didn't finish everything on the first quarter list, having the list to follow definitely helped me to stay focused and committed to finishing some long neglected projects.  Between those finishes and the Project Quilting challenges, I logged more than 10 finishes for the quarter.  There have been years when I haven't finished that many!

This quarter's list might be a bit ambitious, given the scope of some of the projects.  But, I'll give it a try!  Finishing, it turns out, is very satisfying.

Scrappy Stars

This is a finished top, not too big, not too small.  It's a good lap or child size.  It was started to use up some half square triangles that resulted from two different projects.  I also used up a good amount of the squares I had been cutting from scraps.  The challenge with this one will be deciding how to quilt it.  I'm thinking it will be straight line quilted with the walking foot, if I can master using it.  It makes me happy to look at all those bright colors.  Can't wait to have his one done!

Round Robin Mini Quilt
This is a carry over from my first quarter list.  Some progress has been made...it now has an outer border and is basted.  It probably could have been finished last quarter, but, I'm stuck on the quilting.  I thought I might do some log cabin like lines in each of the four quarters.  But, as I planned that out, I realized that the inner borders are not at all straight  I am afraid that linear quilting is going to emphasize how NOT square this mini is.  But, I don't have enough free motion practice, yet, to go that route.  This is a quilt for me, and will hang on the wall, and will make me smile, simply by virtue of its colors.  So, I should probably just go with something straight and simple and get it done.  We'll see.

Doll Sized Hospital Gowns

These were started on a whim in January when Bernie at Needle and Foot posted about the Tiny Gowns she was making for A Doll Like Me.  This was during the time that my daughter was in the hospital.  On one of the days that snow kept me at home instead of being in the hospital with her, I decided to try my hand at some little hospital gowns, too.  I cut and started a few.  Might have finished one...I don't remember.  When they are all done I'll send a package off to Amy so she can included them with the precious dolls she makes, when they are going to a  child facing a hospital stay. Perhaps I'll see if I can get a doll sized quilt made to go with it!

Hello Fall Half Square Triangle Quilt
This is a LONG time WIP.  I don't even remember when it was started.  I know, however, that when I bought the charm packs to use as HST leaders and enders I was excited that the greens in the pack matched the green sofa and love seat in our living room.  Since the walls had recently been painted an autumn orange color (it's prettier than it sounds) I thought I could make a quick sofa quilt that would go perfectly.  Well, the green couches have been gone at least three years.  The walls are still pumpkiny though, so it will be a lovely addition.  And, while we have an assortment of fleece throws that are used constantly. we don't have an actual adult sized quilt that's used downstairs.
There's a lot of work needed on it.  I have no idea how many HSTs I finished, some are pressed and trimmed (I think) and some are not, there's fabric to do more HSTs if needed, and , oh.  I need to decide on a layout.  Getting this one done will be a MAJOR accomplishment.

Cord Keepers
Like the rope bowl on last quarter's list, these are a silly non finish.  They need velcro and top stitching.  That's it.  It will be about a two hour job.  They've been sitting in a bin for two years.  Enough said.

6 inch Quilt Squares for Secret Sewing Project
(This is my first ever secret sewing picture!)  In all honestly, these blocks were just recently started.  I'm adding these to the list because 1. they qualify as a Work In Progress and 2.  because they will be an early finish and I'll get to cross them off the list soon (which Gretchen Rubin says is a good thing to do!).  They are little gifties for my girls' Easter baskets (if life lets me get them done in the next week) and I'm keeping them secret in case anyone snoops.


As I finish my list, snow is falling outside my window.  The long, hot days of July seem so very far away.  Surely I'll be able to finish all of these projects before then!  Right?

Linking up with the Finish Along, and then off to peek at some others' lists of ambitions.

3 comments:

  1. This is a good list with a combination of larger and smaller projects. I figure that even if it just nudges the projects closer to the finish line it's a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely projects. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you've made some progress on all or some of these, or maybe even a finish or two? Good luck with the rest of them. On behalf of the global FAL hosts, thank you for linking up, and yay you! Nicole @ Handwrought Quilts

    ReplyDelete