Saturday, February 09, 2019

Project Quilting 10.3 - Bigger Than A Breadbox

Oh, I am loving these Project Quilting Challenges!  This week's challenge was "Bigger Than A Breadbox."  The stipulation was that our projects needed to have one measurement larger than 8 inches and one measurement larger than 17 inches.

                                              PQ-10-3-bread-box


My first inclination was to do something box like.  Something with depth and dimensions.  Maybe a tote or sewing machine cover.  I've made totes and bags before, though, and I knew that I need to do them in really short sessions as I tend to get overwhelmed.  A sewing machine cover was a good thought, but, I know myself.  I'd leave it crumpled up on the floor when not sewing, rather than using it.  I wanted something useful.  Something I wanted to make, anyway..  I looked back at my list of sewing goals that I'd made just before the first of the year.  One of my goals was to make table runners for each season. 
Here's how our table looked at Christmas.  I made a super quick table runner from a kit I had won a while ago.  I just LOVE this table!

We purchased a beautiful new kitchen table last summer, and it makes me really happy to have an hand made runner on it.  The table was built by a pair of brothers who have made a business our of reclaiming barn wood and building one of a kind furniture.  I love everything about that! The stories, the work and the effort trapped in that wood, the time and the love spent preparing it, and the meals shared around it...it all makes for a really special table, and I want it to be topped with a little bit of my own work.

Well, a table runner can certainly be larger than a breadbox!  So here it is!  I went with a vaguely  Valentine's theme, but in colors that suit my kitchen, rather than pinks and reds.



I used mini charms from some packs that have been on my shelf for quite a while to make some fun nine patches.  A few more pre-cut charm squares were used to make the hearts.  The backing and binding, too, were on my shelves, purchased years ago for long forgotten purposes!  I love that I'm using up things I have rather than buying anything new for these challenges!

I tried out a couple stitches on my machine that I haven't used before, for the raw edge applique,  This was fun, and I learned a few things I wouldn't necessarily do again!  I intended to finish the binding by hand like a usually do, but a raging migraine this afternoon told me this might be a good time to just machine stitch it.  Eh.  I won't do that again, either, at least not with a migraine.  I might actually take that stitching out and try again when I can think straight.  And, I might try glue basting it.  I wish I had taken the time to try that this time.



But, you know what?  This is done!  I have a finished table runner I can leave on my table through Spring if I want to!  And I finished it in time to enter the challenge for a third week!


I am so happy to have 4 finishes in for the year.  Three PQ challenges and the Happy Thoughts Quilt (see previous post if you want to see it!). I feel like that's more than I sometimes have in a whole year!  The energy from one finish fuels the next project, and I just keep going!  I am also settling into a rhythm of sewing almost every day which helps.  These PQ challenges are also teaching me that I can't hide behind the "I don't have time" mindset.  I DO have time.  I just have to use it!  Thanks Kim and the PQ team for this fun way to grow both my skills and my sewing outlook!

9 comments:

  1. Nice runner. You have some fun fabrics in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are fun fabrics! Most of them are from Mixologie by Moda which I think, is a few years old by now. I am enjoying the modern-y look of them on my traditional table.

      Delete
  2. I love the kitchen table Tami! It is just stunning. Good job with the spring color table runner. What is next? Maybe patriotic colors for July??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernie. I have been LOVING this table. It just changed the look of our kitchen. I have a pumpkin runner and a Christmas runner in addition to this one. So, I am thinking another spring/Easter one, and then, yes, red, white and blue. Then maybe another Fall one. It sure is fun to dream them up!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Shasta! I have NO idea how I managed to delete your lovely comment! So sorry!!

      Delete
  4. such a beautiful table runner! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! It is so nice that you take the time to visit and comment! I'm so grateful for Project Quilting. it's been just what I need this year!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete