Thursday, August 07, 2014
Binder Pencil Pouch
I hope that Middle School lives up to her expectations, and offers her lots and lots of new ways to learn and grow. One new experience for her will be Band. She is going to play the flute.
Every morning next week she will participate in "Band Camp" with the other new 6th Grade Band members. She is required to have a zippered pencil pouch to put in her three ring binder. She asked me to make one from some really cute music note fabric that she found for $1 in the scrap bin at a local fabric and framing shop.
I will admit, I'm a teeeeny bit thrilled that she asked. I know that the days of loving what mom makes are numbered, and I will take it while I can!
I have never made a zipper pouch before. I've never put in a zipper before. Well, maybe once, but it would have been on a 4-H project, and I'm sure I had a LOT of help from my mom.
I found a tutorial of sorts somewhere on the interned (It was one of those generic How To pages, not someone's blog, and it wasn't very good, so I'm not going to link to it), and gave it a try. The pink floral pouch is my practice. I just love that fabric. It went pretty well, despite some big gaps in the "instructions." It's a good thing I like to putz and figure things out! The version in the instructions didn't have any batting, but I knew I wanted this pouch to be sturdy, so I added some fusible fleece I've used when making purses. Then, of course, I needed to add a backing/lining. And then, naturally, some quilting was necessary. I dropped my feed dogs and tried a tiny little bit of FMQ, just around some of the flowers. It was fun and looked cute. Until I turned it over. FMQ turned into FMM...Free Motion Mess! WOW! What a nest of thread I created. It was only the second time I have tried to drop my feed dogs and stitch without a presser foot. The first time was moderately successful. This time, not so much. But it's OK. It's on the inside, and this was for practice. Putting in those eyelets for the rings was a new experience, too, but I figured it out.
Once I knew what I was doing and how it needed to go together, I came up with my own method, which is a bit more streamlined than the original - it's all one piece, so just top and bottom seams. I quilted this one in straight lines, going horizontally, perpendicular to that awesome, chunky orange zipper. I'm really so happy with how this turned out! SingAndDance is, too! Yay!
I am linking to Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. Very Excited to have TWO things to share this week!!!