Saturday, February 20, 2021

Project Quilting 12.4 - Snail Trail

 I almost didn't start a project for this week's Project Quilting Challenge.  All week, I just didn't feel like sewing or crafting.  I did a bit here and there...a few blocks for a baby clothes quilt I'm making (for an acquaintance)... 


I decided to keep a few of the owner's baby clothes as is for this memory quilt.  The dresses and little boy jammies are just too cute to cut up! 

and playing around with an idea for spool carrots for my Easter mantel. 

These are still a work in progress, but I'm kind of smitten!  Primitive spool carrots!  Swoon!

But, several nights I just sat on the couch after dinner and looked at pictures of other people's sewing and crafting projects.  It was a long week at school.  Inside recesses, standardized testing, substitute teachers...all of those in the same week make things trickier than usual in my Special Ed world.  Actually, my trickiest kiddos all had a really good week, but some of my "easy" kids picked up the slack.  Things just felt off balance all week, and with a migraine Tuesday through Friday...I had no interest in sewing.  I kept an eye on everybody else's "snail trail inspired" challenge pieces as they were being posted and hashtagged.  I thought maybe inspiration would strike and I'd find my sew-jo and start a project around mid-week.  It didn't. 

On Friday night I decided I'd just make a few snail trail blocks and see where things went.  I pulled burgundy and gold (mustard yellow) scraps and made a few 4 squares.  The colors were inspired by our trip to Chicago last weekend to visit the Loyola University campus.  I am thinking my daughter's wardrobe is going to be heavily populated by those colors in the next few months, as it's looking like that's where she's going to school!!  There are still two other possibilities, but, we all liked the Loyola campus, and it just felt like someplace she belonged.  She has loved Chicago since she was a little girl, and has thought about going to college there since she started high school.  Loyola offers the Chicago experience without being right down town.  So, I'm feeling pretty good about the possibilities.



On Saturday morning, I looked up a couple of snail trail patterns and tutorials.  I couldn't find measurements that fit my blocks or my scrap sizes...so...I kind of winged it.  I laid my 4-square patch on my mat along one of the diagonal lines to see how big my triangles for the next "round" needed to be.  Then I cut squares accordingly, cutting those squares on the diagonal.  It worked, more or less.  My blocks were a little wonky, but, since I didn't really have a plan yet, I wasn't too worried.  It was fun to figure things out as I went along.  The block is kind of, but I don't think I'd ever make a quilt worth of them!  It's been a while since I've made actual quilt blocks, and I had forgotten how laborious cutting, pressing, trimming, squaring up, etc. can be! These four squares took me a couple hours!


While I might never make a snail trail quilt, I think I WILL try spiral quilting again!  It was perfect for this little mini quilt and it was SO fast!  I love the way it looks on the front and the back, too.


As I was cutting my binding, I was dreading the joining step.  It always takes me a few tries and on such a small project, I just wasn't feeling like putting in that much effort.  I remembered seeing how someone used a bit of ribbon to cover where the binding ends meet, and decided I would try that.  But, Instead of ribbon, I thought I'd put a little message in the binding for my daughter.  I remembered a text print that I'd used on the back of a t-shirt quilt several years ago.  


There were several words I could have used.  "Persistence,"  "Wisdom," "Dream," "Accomplishments."  But, "Possibilities" felt right.  There are SO many possibilities open to her at this stage in her life, even if it feels like COVID takes something new away every week.  She can use this as a large mug/snack rug, or a little wall quilt for her dorm room (fingers and crossed the world is somewhat normal by fall and she can move into a dorm room!).  It will be a touch of home and a reminder that the world is FULL of possibilities.


I'm really glad I dug in and finished a project this week.  Quilting, sewing and crafting are always the best therapy for me.  I felt the balance returning and just felt happier as I worked.  Plus, its such fun to be a part of the Project Quilting Challenges.  There have been more than 200 entries each week so far this year.  Isn't that awesome?  More than 600 new "quilts" are out there in the world because of PQ.  I can't wait to see what everyone does this week with their snail trail inspired projects.  Thanks Kim and Trish for another fun week!  Can't believe we're more than half way done with the season!!  



5 comments:

  1. Possibilities for a college mug rug is perfect as you and your daughter look forward to the coming years of possibilities. You are building a cute baby quilt. I've done a few like that myself, keeping clothes intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini Possibilities mat is perfect for your daughter's future as a college student! She will remember her cherished family back home as she uses it. I'm not sure I'd make an entire quilt with this block either, but it was fun as a challenge to create something small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool! i'm happy you decided to play around with it and the quilting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to work PQ12.4 into your week!! It will surely be a treasured memory of home and a source of encouragement for your daughter. Best of luck to her!

    ReplyDelete