Saturday, February 06, 2021

Project Quilting 12.3 - Virtual Vacation

 I am SO in need of a vacation, and I have been, for a very long time. This time last year, I decided it was time to do something about the fact that we have not taken a trip to anywhere but a neighboring state since my teenagers were in elementary school.  I planned a California vacation that would have taken us along a good stretch of the coast over our 10 day Spring Break in early April, 2020  "Planned" is kind of a loose term.  "Daydreamed" might be more accurate.  My youngest daughter (who has cystic fibrosis) had been facing many health challenges for the past year, and I dragged my feet actually making travel arrangements because I just wasn't sure she was going to be well enough for us to go.  I had an itinerary and figured we'd wait until mid March to find flights and hotels and a rental car and just wing it.  Ha!  Mid-March had other plans!  We spent the 10 days of Spring Break at home, like the rest of the world.  Fortunately, I had NO money tied up in my imaginary vacation. We lost nothing and have had no nightmares related to re-scheduling like so many.  Sometimes, hesitation pays!

A year later, I am still very much in need of a vacation.   The snow and cold we're having here is Wisconsin have me longing for the warm sun, the sound of the ocean, sand under my feet and the sweet smell of flowers in the air. 


I chose to make tropical flowers the focus of my Project Quilting piece for this week's theme - Virtual Vacation.  I thought about some specific destinations.  But, the truth is, I'm not really picky at this point.  My dream vacation right now is any place warm and tropical.  I could have represented sand, sun and sea,  but its the colors in the flowers that I'm craving most in our white covered world right now. 

 I cut the hibiscus flower shape from iron-on vinyl on my new Cricut.  This is the first time I downloaded an image to use, and the first time I've used the heat transfer vinyl.  There's a pretty steep learning curve involved in learning the ins and outs of the Cricut - or at east there is for me.  So, incorporating the Cricut into this challenge piece helps meet my goal making one Cricut project per week until I feel like I know what I'm doing.



It was really easy and fun to cut the shape and adhere it to my fabric.  And I love the way it looks with the favorite print from my stash.  It's been quite a while since I have sewn a zipper pouch.  I had to look up a tutorial to refresh my memory, and even then, I put the zipper in backward on my first try.  But, its all good.



I ended up with a cute zipper pouch that says "Warm Weather Here I Come" and it will make the perfect bag to throw in my overnight tote this weekend when we finally take a vacation.  To Chicago.  For a walking tour of a college campus.  In snow.  And most likely single digit temperatures.  Sigh.  Someday, these feet will feel sand again.

Pop over to Kim's blog to see all the marvelous places we Challenge Participants are dreaming of!  Judging from the number of Hawaiian and beach themed projects, I think Kim and Trish should maybe plan a quilt retreat on Maui for 2022...ladies?  You in?


4 comments:

  1. Having zipped totes like this is just what's needed when traveling, whether it's to Maui or Chicago! Such pretty fabric and flower makes it seem warmer, somehow. Do you suppose those folks who sew in Maui make bags with snowflakes? Your bag is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maui in 2022 sounds marvelous (your hibiscus pouch will be a good travel companion!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, using a new technique! It’s cute as can be! That hibiscus 🌺 flower will make you smile as you step out into the Chicago cold!

    ReplyDelete